Nov 14, 2005

If I had $9,000...

... this is what I would buy:
It's not the idea of having a motorcycle per se, it's more linked to the memories I have from my childhood. My father owned a Honda, I don't remember what model but I do remember that it was very big and its upper part was painted in a beautiful shade of burgundy. Every Saturday he would pick me up from school (I was in elementary school) and for the longest time, Saturdays were my favorite part of the week. It was nice to sit on the bike, without helmet since it was not yet mandatory, safe between my dad's arms, cruising down the streets. It was the best way to end the week and a wonderful start to the weekend. We'd run some errands before going home, where mom was waiting. Dad and I we would ride to the butcher's and get some ground horse meat (yes, we do eat horse meat), and after that we'd stop at the baker's and get some gnocco (a soft, salty, baked bread) and then head home. Mom would split the gnocco leaf open and spread the raw meat in between, with some lemon and anchovies. Then we'd let it sit for a few minutes in the oven to make it warmer and then... paradise.
I still remember the color of the motorcycle, the taste of the meat inside the warm gnocco, the scent of it spreading around the oven, the warmth of the food; I can't recall whether we did this every single Saturday, but I'd say it was an established pattern for most of the school year (except for the winter and rainy days). We'd sit at the table, together, talking, eating.
Now, in the California desert, where it hardly rains, a motorcycle is a good alternative to a car. Granted, you cannot carry a huge load as you would in the car, but nothing beats the feeling of being one with the wind, of feeling the road and being able to pass by cars when they get stuck (which is often) on the freeway.
But will a motorcycle bring back the feeling of those memories? Or just the memory itself?

No comments: