Nov 22, 2005

Expectations

I probably expect too much from people. Or maybe I just expect them to behave according to certain norms that, in my opinion, can be labeled as common sense, but that in fact are not; they may be common sense for me because that's the way I was brought up.
For example, I feel very bad if I don't return phone calls, emails, text messages or any other form of communication. If someone contacts me and leaves a message, I feel like it's an obligation for me to reply. Or maybe not necessarily an obligation, but I do feel very bad if I don't do it. Even if I'm mad, or angry, or annoyed, either at the person or at content of the message, in any way it was transmitted to me, I still believe that I owe that person a reply. That person has the right to know if what they said, or did, was offensive to me, and why. I don't pretend that people read my mind, and it would be nice if other people didn't pretend that you can read theirs. There's nothing worse than asking yourself questions and trying to come up with an answer on your own, especially if they're about someone else - you almost always get the wrong answer.
I cannot accept that someone does not contact you for weeks with the excuse that they were too busy to contact you. In the era of email and cell phones, that's not a valid excuse. People don't sit down and write letters anymore, at least not under everyday circumstances. How long does it actually take to write two lines, be it on a computer or on a cell phone? 2 minutes? 3 minutes tops? How long does it take to say something like: "Sorry I missed your call, I don't have time to talk right now, I'll call you as soon as I can"???????? Or: "Sorry I can't talk to you now, I need some time to think. I'll call you when I'm ready"??????
Almost everybody who works in an office has access to a computer, and to email, or they have a computer at home, connected in some way to the internet. And everybody now owns a cell phone. So no excuses like: "I didn't know how to contact you". I can accept and understand a delay of a couple of days, in certain cases even an entire week (people may take a week off work and go somewhere on a trip), but after that, it starts smelling like rotten fish.
You call people and they don't answer your calls; you email and it takes ages before you get a reply; you leave voice messages and you never hear from them. Now, if they behave like that, it is normal that you start thinking that maybe you did, or said, something wrong to them. Or that maybe your friendship is not worth that much to them, if they don't make any efforts to return your call/email. Why should I waste my time being friends to someone if they can't take 2 minutes out of their day to reply? And again, I refuse to believe that people work for 10 hours straight without a single break in between. I refuse to believe that. Or that they don't have 2 minutes to write a text message when they go to bed, before turning their phone off for the night.
Again, probably it's just because this is the way I was raised - if people contact YOU, and not someone else, there IS a reason. And it's just common courtesy to reply to someone's attempt at contacting you.
Otherwise don't call me your friend, don't count me in your personal circle of friends; just move me to the "acquaintances" group, where I won't be upset, or sad, if you only contact me every other month.

1 comment:

sdq said...

we're too 'old fashioned.'